Monday, October 02, 2006

Too Bad I Missed This Great Conference

Just a few weeks ago, the Contraception Is Not the Answer national conference took place in Chicago. From what I can gather from the conference website, while contraception was heralded in the mid 20th century as a method to free women and families from poverty, it has instead caused widespread promiscuity, divorce, and abortion.

Apparently, since contraception has no effect on lowering poverty, the pro-contraception lobby has instead decided to re-group and promote contraception as the solution to unintended pregnancy. But this strategy, as well, has failed.

You don’t believe me? Take, for instance, this statistic from the conference website (this is in fact a reliable statistic from Jones et al., 2002): 54% of women who had abortions in 2000-2001 report that they had used a contraceptive method at least once in the month in which they got pregnant. Wow, if that didn't convince you, try this quote, also from the conference website and attributed to “Abortionist Judith Bury” in 1981: "There is overwhelming evidence that, contrary to what you might expect, the provision of contraception leads to an increase in the abortion rate."

As someone who has basically dedicated her life to evaluating cause- and effect- relationships and is particuarly well schooled in the study of human behavior as it relates to contraception and pregnancy prevention (not to toot my own horn or anything), I have to say that this is some darn convincing evidence!

I mean, I am seriously bummed. In addition to several great misogynistic, ill-informed, Bible-thumping and illogical thinkers, I missed listening to a Dr. Tiger (for real!) present his lecture, The Decline of Males: How Contraception Alters the Status and Identity of Men (also for real!)

Okay, okay, now I really am being serious---This conference is so up my alley I actually would have paid to be a fly on the wall at this event. Maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home